Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Parmesan Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse

This was my 4th attempt at this and this is supposed to be a fun project, not an exercise in frustration, so in keeping it real, I'm showing you these failed morsels. As you may remember in the parmesan crisps posts, I mentioned that theoretically you can shape the molten cheese crisps into a tulip cup shape while simultaneously searing off your fingerprints. So if you want to change your identity, this may be the recipe for you! I tried the egg carton, I tried the upside down shot glasses that Carol Blymire used. I tried several vessels and could never make them tulip up.


So, pressing onward, I went ahead and made the goat cheese mousse. I must admit I am not a goat cheese fan, I have only ever tasted one I really liked. So I bought the mildest goat cheese I could find. I mixed it up in the food processor as instructed added the cream and at the very end added the herbs and salt and pepper. I didn't take a picture but it was more soupy than mousse-y. From reading others' experiences it seems this is a fairly common occurence. Chef Keller is known for sourcing only the finest ingredients and I suspect that has much to do with his ability to mousse this stuff.... oh and... not to mention skill and talent!



Anyhoo, I piped the soup-mousse onto my flat crisps. A couple of them kept the little star swirl for a few seconds but not long enough for the camera.


As you can see even the picture sucks. Maybe my heart just wasn't in it. I ate one and it tasted ok, but as I said goat cheese isn't my cheese of choice. Wonderful Supportive husband said they were "not bad". All in all not a rousing endorsement, but if you are a goat cheese fan, and you don't mind serving on flat chips instead of tulips... these might be for you!

More (better) canapes on the way

See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. the trick to these is definitely in the searing of your fingertips. i used an egg carton and burnt myself, but it was worth it in the end LOL. also, i think that there is a typo within the actual text of the recipe when it comes to the cream. under ingredients, it says to use 4-6T of heavy cream, but in the text it says 1/4 cup all at once! big difference here. i only used about 4T and it was completely pipe-able...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use a muffin tin to cook the parmesan. It means you will not sear your fingers and as the muffin tin is non stick you get nice cup shaped crisps

    ReplyDelete