Monday, October 26, 2009

Bolognese

Once again, not laundry... My veal bones will be in on Thursday and I'll start my veal stock. Tomorrow we are heading to the Cook's Warehouse as I need some special cooking accessories. I was thinking about inviting neighbors for some wine, canapes and maybe the "Caeser" salad. Hopefully we can get that done soon and get some pictures up.

This Bolognese sauce has been simmering most of the day and I can't wait for dinner! I don't like the fennel taste of Italian sausage so I use bratwurst instead. This recipe makes a ton! I like to freeze it so we have about 6 dinners ready in a moment's notice.



Meat Sauce
a little olive oil
1 package of Johnsonville regular brats (casing removed)
1 lb ground pork
2 lb ground chuck
2 onions roughly chopped
2 celery stalks cut up
2 carrots peeled and cut
3 cloves garlic
1/4 c italian parsley
1 T fresh oregano
Dried Italian seasoning to taste
Salt and Pepper
2 28 oz cans tomatoes ( I like Muir Glen or Hunt's)
2 c white wine
1 small can evaporated milk
2 T tomato paste

Brown meat in a large heavy pot until no longer pink. drain fat. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Place the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, fresh herbs and parsley in a food processor and puree then add to the meat pot. Add the wine and simmer down until reduced by half.

Meanwhile put your tomatoes and paste in a separate pan , add dried Italian herbs to taste and reduce until the tomato mixture is thick about 40 min.

Add tomatoes to meat and simmer for about 20 min, then add evaporated milk.
Serve with Rigatoni or penne .. or any pasta you want!

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment