Saturday, September 4, 2010

There's no stopping us now

WSH and I have been out for dinner TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW!  And don't worry, this hasn't become a "what I did this weekend" blog, although it sort of has, I'm back to The French Laundry as soon as I can get my hands on some salt-packed anchovies. Just the thought of it makes my toes curl. But I'm in this to do new things and so it shall be....

Thursday night we met Ken and Alison at the most buzzed-hyped restaurant in ATL at the moment. Having won all sorts of accolades in the past 3 weeks, Miller Union was the place to be and be seen. I have wanted to go there since I first read about the baked egg in celery cream appetizer, but never got around to it until now. Lessons learned. We had reservations for 4 at 7:30  on a Thursday night and the place was really really busy. I didn't take pictures because we were seated in a small room with maybe 7 other tables and it would have been too annoying. The baked egg in celery cream lived up to my anticipation.. it was sublime. Of the rest of the meal, the clear winner was WSH's low country shrimp and grits. It was perfect! My steak was good but I swear I cannot get anything but truly RARE beef in this city. It was purple, when I asked for medium. Seems to happen everywhere so I guess I'll have to stop ordering beef out. 

Ken and Alison
Then on Friday, we picked up Audrey and went to Taqueria del Sol for their annual offering of Chille Rellenos made with special chiles grown in New Mexico just for them. This once a year treat is something we look forward to every summer. They will be serving them at dinner only at all locations until they run out. If you're in the ATL area, go get one while you can!
Chille Rellenos
As you can see, they are large! This year's crop was significantly spicier (hotter) than last year's so I was happy I only ordered one. Inside is a creamy white cheese and it oozes out onto the plate, mixed with the salsa and crispy fried chille, it's a match made in heaven.
Guacamole
Chips and Guac offered a cooling respite from the hot chille. So did Audrey's Corona but that picture didn't turn out and she wouldn't let me take a picture of her. : (  I ordered a fried chicken taco to go with my relleno
We had great conversation and a fun informal meal together.  A great way to usher out the end of this hot hot summer and welcome fall.

See you soon -- looking for anchovies.

No comments:

Post a Comment